My bread recipe was requested on the Stromboli post. It was already typed out as part of our family recipe “cookbook”, so it is easy enough to share it here.
Prairiefrog “Staff of Life Bread”
This recipe will make 6 loaves if using 8″ pans
1. Grind 12 cups wheat berries
2. Add 6 1/2 cups very warm water to Bosch
3. Add 10 heaping cups of the freshly milled flour to water, mix in on level 1
4. Add 3 T SAF yeast to mix. Let it mix for 1 min, then turn it off and cover with lid. Let it “sponge” for 10 minutes. (More of the flour will be added in step #8.) While the dough is sponging, oil bread pans, and get out other ingredients.
5. When it is done sponging, turn the mixer on for a second to punch the dough down before adding the oil and honey. (Or it will ooze out!) Measure 2/3 Cup oil (olive or canola) and 2/3 Cup honey (together the oil and honey should measure 1 1/3 cup)
6. Add 2 heaping T gluten, 2 T sea salt (regular salt is fine too), and 2 T flax seeds (optional)
8. Turn on mixer to level 1 and begin to add the rest of the flour, one cup at a time (carefully while it is mixing) until you see the sides of the bowl wipe clean. (It will not be totally clean, especially on top, but it should be pretty close.) (Usually this is about 5-6 cups of flour)
9. Turn mixer up to level 2, let kneed for 4 more minutes.
10. (At this point remove extra rack from oven to allow room for bread to riseleave 2 racks.) Preheat oven to Warm. When it is preheated, turn the oven off.
11. Get the dough out and shape it, then put into pans, then into the oven. (Double checkoven should be warmed, but turned off. Turn on convection at this point.) Set timer for 25 minutes rising time. (Dough should rise approximately 1/2-1″ above top of pansif it is higher, the bread can fall, so watch it the first time, and adjust time if needed.
12. Turn oven to 350 and bake for 25 minutes
13 Remove from oven and take immediately out of pans. Place loaves on a cooling rack.